Home decor usually involves the design and layout of the different rooms in a home customized to the needs of the owner and keeping in mind practicalities and functionalities. But every now and then, there is always the intention of the home owner to indulge in a passion such as investing in an expensive piece of furniture or putting in an extra space at home for family usage, or designing a bathroom in an expansive and luxurious finish etc. Whatever the outcome, the satisfaction is in a design and job well executed especially if it meets the need envisioned.
Different types of home decor and furniture suit different needs of the occupants and can transform a house into a beautiful living space and define the home. Furniture types consist of various listings like:
• Work areas
• Entertainment, etc.
By and large, the choice of furniture depends on the space available, costs and preferences. The common types of home furniture classification are:
1. Seating – the sofa is the ubiquitous piece of furniture of seating; today, this can be a recliner sofa, a cozy two seats, an elaborately carved three seats or any other.
2. Dining – a dining table dominates the dining area of a house. If the home is large enough to accommodate a formal as well as informal dining table, then that is sometimes done. Some homes use an informal dining table in the kitchen for most meals and the formal one for occasions or while hosting friends and family. Earlier, dining tables were mostly carved from wood; today there are plenty of options like metal framed, glass, fiber and plastic. Shapes are also diverse from the original rectangle to square, round, oval and hexagonal to suit interiors.
3. Bar – a home bar is not only a part of many large and luxurious homes, even smaller ones are making the effort to use a private area as a bar to wind down after work or entertain guests. A small corner can be cordoned off with a circular bar and bar stools with part of the bar cupboard acting as a storage space for books and videos.
4. Entertainment – home theater furniture has become an integral part of homes that are hooked on to electronics for viewing pleasure or for games etc. as part of spending quality family time together. Where there are TVs, music and DVD players, a home theater has become a necessity rather than a luxury.
5. Sleeping – the master bedroom usually has the master cot designed or picked up from a furniture store keeping in mind the space and requirements like side cabinets and shelves for storage; smaller children may use an adjoining room as their bedroom. Kids’ rooms can toy with the idea of bunk beds to save on space and create extra storage for books, clothes and games
These constitute the essentials of home furniture; however, each home is unique in reflecting the tastes of its owner and hence functionality and budgets are an important factor besides the housing space.